Bluetooth speakers are the latest advancements in the wireless world. Working on the same Bluetooth technology that allows you to share music and files on your mobile phone wirelessly with friends, these speakers provide a high quality listening experience without using any wires. As far as wireless technologies go, Bluetooth is still in its nascent stages, but nevertheless, offers a compelling performance. If you own a cell phone, you`ve probably used Bluetooth already. Nowadays, you can buy everything from earphones and headphones to headsets that run on this technology. Many modern laptops and netbooks also utilize Bluetooth to connect devices wirelessly, including speakers, headphones and small printers.
The two common technologies most prevalent in wireless speakers are RF (radio frequency) and Infra-Red. While both have their own merits, their functionality is somewhat limited. Radio Frequency, for instance, can sometimes suffer from interference and reception issues, while Infra-Red requires the device and the receiver to be in-line with each other, thereby limiting portability. Bluetooth speakers, on the other hand, can work without any spatial restrictions as long as the speakers and the receiver are within 30 feet of each other. You need not fiddle around with any settings; the connection can be established wirelessly between the receiver and the Bluetooth speakers.
Advantages of Bluetooth Speakers
- Bluetooth speakers generally consume very low power. More often than not, you don`t need a hefty external power adapter to keep them running. In fact, many popular models run on AA batteries.
- One major advantage of Bluetooth speakers is portability. Many people use them like headphones or earphones, carrying a small pair of speakers in their laptop bags to be used outdoors. Their low power consumption makes them an ideal choice for such use.
- Since these speakers work without wires, you will never have to fiddle with cumbersome cables and adapters.
- No installation. The connection between the speakers and the device (cell phone, laptop, etc.) can be established automatically. You need not hunt for drivers or installation CDs.
- Perfect for personal outdoor use. If you are out on a camping trip, or spending some time with friends on a picnic, you`ll find Bluetooth speakers very handy. Since there is no installation required, you can set up and start listening to music within minutes.
- Work with cell phones, iPhones, etc. The great thing about Bluetooth speakers is that they work seamlessly with cell phones. While other wireless speakers employ RF or infra-red - features that few cell phones have
- Bluetooth is ubiquitous in mobile phones. And since most modern day phones already have music playing capabilities, you can listen to your favorite music instantly.
Disadvantages of Bluetooth Speakers
- Range. The device (i.e. music player, cell phone, laptop, etc.) and the speakers need to be within 30 feet of each other to function. This means that you will find it hard to play music while sitting in another room.
- Power. Bluetooth speakers cannot compete with regular speakers when it comes to delivering raw power (i.e. wattage). Their sound will be weaker, lacking the richness and depth of regular speakers.
- Compatibility. While most cell phones are Bluetooth capable, many music players are not.
Bluetooth speakers are perfect if you want to listen to music while outdoors. If you want to catch up on your favorite songs while on a picnic, in a park, or on a camping trip, these are ideal investments. However, for home use, you may want to look at other wireless speakers that can deliver more power and better sound quality.
I absolutely LOVE the Zivigo wireless Bluetooth speaker! For being such a small speaker it has a lot of power behind it in my opinion. The sound quality is absolutely wonderful. Everything came out crisp and clear. It even has a built-in microphone for hands-free speakerphone and built-in rechargeable battery for up to 10 hours playback. I love how well built this device is, yet it`s not heavy and it`s portable. Broken car radio? Here`s a good idea until you can get it fixed or a new one! (hey just throwing ideas out there!) Using this speaker was easy and doesn`t take a rocket scientist to do. I`m quite impressed and definitely think this would make for a great gift for the holidays!
GET FREE 2-DAY SHIPPING WITH AMAZON PRIME!!
Check out some Prime member-exclusive benefits:
- PRIME MEMBERS: Go here for Free $35 Baby Box
- TRY PRIME FOR FREE: Click here to get Free 30-Day Trial of Amazon Prime. You'll get Unlimited Free 2-Day Shipping, streaming movies, free kindle books, and access to Amazon Family for extra 20% off diapers.
- STUDENTS with a .edu email address sign up to Amazon Prime using Amazon Student here - You will get FREE 6-Month Trial (Instead of 1) + 50% off prime membership
- AMAZON FAMILY DISCOUNT: Click here to sign up. With Amazon Family, You'll get 20% diaper subscriptions and exclusive coupons
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.